George S. Osborne College of Audiology
Australia 2014 Workshops
Vestibular and Balance Disorders Workshop: June 24-27, 2014
This advanced workshop will cover various theoretical and practical topics related to vestibular and balance assessment. Data collection and interpretation of oculomotor function, positional and positioning nystagmus, caloric testing, rotational chair testing, vestibular evoked myogenic potentials (VEMPs), head impulse testing, as well as discussion of the peripheral and central vestibular pathways. There will be particular emphasis on hands-on training. Participants are encouraged to bring case studies for review and class discussion.
- Describe the relationship between caloric test asymmetry and rotary chair results.
- Define an appropriate diagnostic battery for children with suspected vestibular dysfunction.
- Identify how head impulse testing may add to clinical and bedside vestibular evaluation.
- Describe the benefits and limitations of functional evaluations of balance and gaze stability.
- Identify potential uses and limitations of rotary chair testing.
- Describe the stimuli used to generate cervical and ocular VEMPs.
- Describe the physiology of the peripheral vestibular organs.
- Identify causes of peripheral and central vestibular pathology.