Oak Lane Campus
Today the Oak Lane campus is the site of our optometric clinical facility, The Eye Institute. The original Oak Lane campus was established in 1933 by our founding college, the Pennsylvania College of Optometry, when it moved there from center city Philadelphia. Though Old Main, the halls and dormitories that were hallmarks of PCO may be gone, the name Oak Lane campus remains.
The Eye Institute’s mission is to provide competent, comprehensive and patient-centered vision care to all who seek services, while providing the highest quality clinical education to the Pennsylvania College of Optometry’s optometric interns. In pursuit of its mission, The Eye Institute (TEI) offers a vast array of services to care for the visual needs of persons of all ages and to manage routine and not so routine vision and ocular health problems. In the spirit of being true to its mission and continuing its commitment to its community, TEI’s recent renovation project represents an $11 million investment that has served its Oak Lane neighborhood and the tri-state region since 1978.
In April 2010, The Eye Institute underwent an extensive, $11 million renovation that ended in December 2011. The result is a welcoming, state of the art clinical facility, where patients receive comprehensive eyecare from faculty and students during their more than 40,000 annual visits.
In addition to the many services available at The Eye Institute (Oaklane), primary eye care services are available at two additional locations in Philadelphia: The Eye Institute at Chestnut Hill and The Eye Institute at Falls Center.