Charles M. Wormington, PhD,OD, F.A.A.O
- OD, New England College of Optometry
- MA, PhD, Johns Hopkins University (Biophysics)
- BA, University of California, Santa Barbara (Cell Biology & Physics)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Institutes of Health
- Primary Care Optometry Residency, Pennsylvania College of Optometry
Role At Salus University:
- Associate Professor, Researcher, Staff Biophysicist of the Light and Laser Institute, Chairman of the Institutional Review Board, member of the Institutional Animal Use and Care Committee, member of Committee on Academic Promotion.
- Public Health Expertise: biophysics and laser technology, public health genomics, research compliance and ethics
- Ophthalmic Lasers, Genetics
Selected Representative Publications:
- Wormington CM. How to put genetics into your practice now. Rev Optom 114(11):61-66 (2004).
- Wormington CM. The genomics revolution and the future of eye care.
Points de vie 51 (Special Issue 2), Autumn:44-46 (2004).
- Wormington CM. The genomics revolution and molecular optometry:
educational implications. Optom Ed 29:43-48 (2004).
- Wormington, CM. Genetic frontiers: the era of molecular optometry. Rev Optom 140:76-83 (2003).
- Wormington CM. Ophthalmic Lasers. Philadelphia: Butterworth-Heinemann (2003).
- Wormington CM. Bilateral, vertically planar, pulverulent cataracts. Optom Vis Sci 79(Suppl):74 (2002).
- Wormington CM. How the Techno-Revolution Will Change Your Practice. Rev Optom 136:36-8, 40 (1999)
- Alaniz RV, Wormington CM. Detection of differences in the retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) thickness in normal and glaucomatous eyes of black subjects. Optom Vis Sci 75 (Suppl):111 (1998).
- Burns CM, Alaniz RV, Wormington CM. Correlation of retinal nerve fiber layer thickness and visual field defects in glaucomatous black subjects. Optom Vis Sci 75 (Suppl):39 (1998).
- Monaco WA, Wormington CM. The rhesus monkey as an animal model for age-related maculopathy. Optom Vis Sci 67:523-37 (1990).
- Wormington CM. Pituitary adenoma: diagnosis and management. J Am Optom Assoc 60:929-35 (1989).
- Lewis T, Wormington C. Visual fields and function. In: Fields and Pharm. Considerations, Vol 5, #2 – Primary Care of Glaucoma. Dresher, PA: Primary Eyecare, 1986.
Societies and Organizations
- American Academy of Optometry (Fellow)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Optometric Association (AOA)
- American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG)
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- International Society for Imaging of the Eye (ISIE)
- Laser Institute of America
- Lions Club
- National Coalition for Health Professional Education in Genetics (NCHPEG)
- Pennsylvania Optometric Association (POA)
- Philadelphia County Optometric Society (PCOS)
- Public Responsibility in Medicine & Research (PRIM&R)
- United States Air Force Reserve, Biomedical Sciences Corps, Lt. Colonel, Retired
- Michael G. Harris Award for Excellence in Optometric Education - 2008
- ASCO Genomics Task Force: 2004 – present
- American Academy of Optometry representative to the National Coalition for Health Professional Education in Genetics (NCHPEG): 2004 – present
- Leadership Cabinet Pool of the American Optometric Association: 2003 – present
- Faculty Council: 1986 – 1997, 2000 - present (president: 2002 – 2004; VP: 1990, 2000-2002)
- PCO Institutional Review Board for Human Subjects: (chairperson) 1986 - present
- PCO Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee: 1989 - present
- Committee for Academic Promotion: 1999 - present
- Medical Laser Safety Officer: 1990-present
- Faculty Advisor to BSK (Optometry Honor Society): 1988 - present
- Faculty Advisor to FCO (Fellowship of Christian Optometrists): 1985 - present
- Student admissions interviews: 1985 - present
- Chief, Optometry Services - USAFR, 913th Medical Squadron, Willow Grove Air Reserve Station, PA: 1984 - 2005
- New Technologies Committee of the American Optometric Association (chairperson: 1997 – 2000; member: 2001 – 2003)
- National Board of Examiners in Optometry, Human Biology Subcommittee of the Human Biology - Systemic Conditions Committee: 1995 – 2002 (chairperson, Human Biology Subcommittee 2001-2002)
- National Board of Examiners in Optometry Part 1 – Basic Science Council: 1999 – 2002
- Ionizing Radiation Committee: 1992 - 1996
- Clinical Programs Executive Committee of the AOA: 1996 - 2000
- Clinical Programs Committee of the AOA: 1997-1998
- AOA Consortium on New Technologies (consultant): 1991 - 1997
- ASCO Curriculum Conference: 1992
- Onofrey G. Rybachok Educator of the Year Award (1991)
- National Board of Examiners in Optometry Special Committee: 1987 - 1988
- ASCO National Basic Science Conference: 1985
- PCO Lions Club Director: 1985 - 1988
- Development of new clinical testing equipment
- Clinical research with diagnostic laser systems