Faculty and Staff News
Associate Dean Presented with Award
Associate dean of the Biomedicine program and assistant director of the MPH program, Dr. Bill Monaco was recently presented with the Orion Award.
The Orion Award is one of the most prestigious awards that the Armed Forces Optometric Society (AFOS) bestows. Dr. Monaco was also acknowledged as a Founding Member of AFOS and his 45 years of service.
Salus University has established a collaborative partnership with AFOS through which Salus University would offer partial scholarships (50% of tuition) to pursue either an online Masters in Public Health degree or a MSc/PhD in Biomedicine.
SLP Faculty Member Accepted into Leadership Academy
Speech-Language Institute clinical director, and Salus SLP instructor, Robert Serianni, has been accepted into the 2015 Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CAPCSD) Leadership Academy to be held in April in Newport Beach, CA. He was selected among 75 applicants to be one of 19 participants.
CAPCSD is dedicated to promoting academic excellence, visionary leadership and collaboration among communication sciences and disorders academic programs.
The inaugural 2015 CAPCSD Leadership Academy, “Best Practices in Academic Leadership,” will be held April 14-15, 2015 at the Newport Beach (CA) Marriott. The Academy will be led by Dr. Jeffrey Buller, Dean of Florida Atlantic University’s Wilkes Honors College. Topics to be covered include foundations of leadership; time management; stress management; collegiality and team building; best practices in faculty evaluation, mentoring, and coaching; leading change; and goal setting/planning for the future.
Faculty Members Honored at Faculty Social
On Friday, February 20th, faculty were recognized for their service to the University and their scholarly achievements for 2014. The social was held in the Bennett Lounge in the Hafter Community Center.
The following faculty were presented with certificates in honor of their promotions to full professor: Audrey J. Smith, PhD; Elise B. Ciner, OD; Connie Chronister, OD; and Charles M. Wormington, PhD,OD, FAAO (pictured below from left to right with President Michael H. Mittelman, OD, MPH.
Dr. Maria Parisi and Dr. Brooke Smith;
Dr. Audrey Smith and Bob Serianni.
The University community offers sincere congratulations to the following members:
- Dr. Victor H. Bray, dean, Osborne College of Audiology, and Dr. Jonette Owen, assistant dean for the Practice and Assessment of Audiologic Medicine, who presented "How many AuDs Does It Take To Graduate an AuD?" at the American Academy of Audiology's annual AudiologyNOW! conference in San Antonio, TX.
- Robert DiSogra, AuD '03, adjunct, who presented Over-the-counter tinnitus relief products and Ear Canal Anatomy and Pathology at the American Academy of Audiology (AAA) in San Antonio, TX.
- Sallyann Geiss, PhD, CCC-SLP, assistant professor, and Bob Serianni, MS, CCC-SLP, clinical director, Speech-Language Pathology program, who presented "Interprofessional Education: It's Not About You" at the Pennsylvania Speech-Language Hearing Association (PSHA) conference last month.
The University community extends its sincere condolences to the following members:
- Dr. John Fitzgerald, medical director and associate director, Physician Assistant program, on the passing of his father, Mr. John J. Fitzgerald, Jr.
- The family of retired PCO employee, Joan Flanigan, who passed away on April 11.