College of Health Sciences
Physician Assistant Program
Admissions Checklist and Requirements
Please Note: Patient care requirements have changed for the 2013/2014 application year.
- Submit a properly completed application to CASPA. (www.caspaonline.org)
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (or currently attending) directly to CASPA.
- Complete Bachelor's degree and admissions prerequisites prior to enrollment. If accepted into the Brigham Young University-Idaho 3+2 Affiliation program, at least 90 semester hours of credit must be completed prior to enrollment. If accepted into the Western New England University 3+2 Affiliation program at least 101 semester hours of credit must be completed prior to enrollment.
- Three letters of recommendation are required; one must be from a Physician Assistant. Arrange for required letters of evaluation to be sent to CASPA.
- Acquire a minimum of 200 hours of direct patient care experience within a health care related field (may be volunteer and/or employment).
- It is highly recommended to shadow a practicing physician assistant(s) in order to be familiar with the role of the physician assistant as a member of the health care team. Applicants who have acquired PA shadowing hours will be given priority consideration.
- The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is not required. However, if you have taken the exam, you are welcome to submit your scores. Please note, the GRE must have been taken within three years prior to the start date of the entering class to which you seek admission. Official exam scores may be sent to CASPA (designated Institution code: 0432).
- Immunization requirements for health care providers are required to have been completed by the time classes begin. (CDC immunization recommendations for health care providers).
- Determine that you are able to meet the program’s technical standards.
Notification of Acceptance
An applicant may be notified of his or her acceptance as early as September. Upon receipt of acceptance, an applicant is required to pay a $1,000 matriculation fee to the University prior to the start of classes, payable as follows:
- Return the matriculation form and an initial $500 deposit within 14 days of the date of the acceptance letter.
- The balance of $500 for the matriculation fee is due April 15.
- All monies received above will be applied toward first term fees.